Friday, January 18, 2013

Passport to Beauty Vol. 1 - Louise Young L34 Super Foundation Brush

Louise Young LY34 Super Foundation Brush; $41.00 at Nordstrom - However, I just checked the Nordstrom.com website and the LY34 no longer appears!  Hopefully, you can still get it in store

Welcome to Passport to Beauty - a new series on this blog that will feature products from international (read: non-US based) brands. Since becoming a dedicated makeup magpie earlier this year, I've watched dozens of videos from Youtube beauty gurus from around the world featuring an array of products that I now lust after.  Alas, some of the products I covet are inevitably unavailable in the US or are hard to come by like the brushes from UK-based Louise Young cosmetics.

BOTTOM LINE: At $41.00, it's definitely an investment, but the LY34 is a beautifully crafted brush that does what it's supposed to do AMAZINGLY.  If you primarily use liquid foundation,  this should be on your wish list.

A favorite brand amongst UK-based beauty bloggers and Youtube gurus, Louise Young brushes were only available to US customers via the Louise Young website willing to  pay the approx $15 international shipping fee.  

HOWEVER, just before Christmas I was online shopping for gifts on the Nordstrom website and I was OVERJOYED to find that Louise Young brushes had come to the US - and thanks to Nordstrom, with FREE shipping. WOOT!  I immediately placed an order.


It was agonizing trying to choose between the LY34 and LY02 - also synthetic, but more of a paddle shape, compared to the rounder LY34.  What clinched my decision was the rounded point of the brush, which is perfect for the nose and undereye area.

Since the brush arrived, I have used it exclusively.  I even travelled with it over the holidays, though it's a tad on the large side to be totally travel-friendly. I sometimes pick it up and just stroke it like a soft, cuddly puppy. With the first use, you can see why this is Louise Young's bestseller.  The website describes it as "a large luxurious brush" that "applies foundation perfectly." And boy, does it ever. 

The taklon bristles are so incredibly soft and packed densely, but with enough give to blend your liquid foundation seamlessly and with minimal effort.  I was a dedicated BeautyBlender girl, but after doing a side by side comparison, the LY34 wins.  Don't get me wrong, I still think the BeautyBlender is great, but I feel like the LY34 brush buffs the foundation into my skin giving a more natural finish and literally in half the time it takes me with a damp BeautyBlender.

Not only are the taklon bristles soft, but they clean easily and the brush dries overnight after I wash it. I haven't had any fallout from it.

Though I purchased the LY34 from Nordstrom.com in November, I saw today that it's not currently on the website, though other Louise Young brushes are. Hopefully they are re-stocking and will put it back up on the website. If you're at all interested in this LY34 and you live in the US, you may want to RUN, not walk to the nearest Nordstrom's near you to see if they have it in store.



*All products mentioned in this review were purchased by me. No promotional consideration was given for this post. The opinions expressed here are 100% my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment