Friday, February 22, 2013

Luxe Lips: YSL's New Rouge Volupte Shine in Rose Infinite

YSL Rouge Volupte Shine 07 - Rose Infinite $34.00 at Sephora

As a newbie beauty junkie, it was only recently that I started splurging on luxe lip products.  It was during a particularly long and painful flight delay that I talked myself into buying my first high-end lipstick. Since then, I've been hooked. There's just something so sumptuous about pulling out a beautifully-encased lipstick that just can't be replicated with a drugstore product.

Now that the weather's FINALLY warming up, I've been itching to ditch the darker shades I've been sporting all winter.  I went to Sephora earlier this week hoping to find a lip color that was lighter both in color and texture to herald in the spring and decided to pick up YSL's Rouge Volupte Shine in 07 Rose Infinite.

I love YSL products in general, and I love their lip products most of all. While I adore YSL's creamy pur couture lipsticks and the cult-status glossy stains, I was never quite able to talk myself into buying one of the ever-popular Volupte Sheer Candy glossy balms. Though raved about by youtube beauty gurus - my main source for finding new products to lust after - the glossy balms didn't have quite enough color payoff for me to justify the price.

This new formulation from YSL seemed to address all my reservations.  The formula is light and goes on smoothly.  The color looks dark in the tube, but comes off much lighter. Sephora's website describes Rose Infinite as a "shady pink taupe" which I think is accurate.

In natural sunlight

On me, Rose Infinite applies as a my-lips-but-better shade with good color payoff. (I'm an NC42 for reference) If you're looking at brighter shades, you may want to swatch them before purchasing to make sure they are the opacity you are looking for.

For those that are sensitive to fragrances in their cosmetics, be forewarned that like the YSL shimmering glosses this formula does have that familiar hint of mango to it, which I actually quite like.

The new formulation is aptly named a "shine".  It does catch some light when first applied to the lip. would say that this is the mid-point between a satin finish and a gloss. The finish actually reminds me a lot of MAC's Sheen Supreme lipsticks.

YSL's Rouge Volupte Shine does have an emollient texture, but it's not so slippery that it feels like it's going to slip off your lips and require constant reapplication.  The wear time is better than I expected. The shine did wear off fairly quickly, though the color lasted quite well.

Let's not forget the signature packaging. The picture does speak for itself. This is where the luxe factor comes in and no one does luxe packaging quite like YSL.

All in all, I love the new Rouge Volupte Shines and will be looking into picking up another brighter shade.

Will you be picking up any new lip products for the spring?



No comments:

Post a Comment