Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Passport to Beauty Vol. 2: Sleek Makeup - Beauty from Across the Pond



I heard about the Sleek Makeup line from Pixiwoo - unfortunately, this was shortly AFTER my trip to London last year. I was KICKING myself, wishing I had known about this line just a little bit sooner, so I could take full advantage of a trip to Boots or Superdrug. Short of buying a plane ticket back to London, I would have been hard pressed to get my hands on products from the UK-based line, but THANKFULLY, they do ship to the US.  Shipping might take a little time  - the site says up to 20 working days to get to the US, but IMHO it's worth the wait.

The Sleek website is great when it comes to swatches - most products are swatched on fair, medium and dark skin so you can envision how the shade will match your skin tone. As a tanned girl, I can't tell you how many times I've been frustrated trying to choose makeup shades only to be disappointed upon testing. Way to go, Sleek!

I was most excited about the i-Divine eyeshadow palette in Storm. I agonized for a while trying to decide which palette to get, and finally chose this one for its balance of neutral and dramatic shades. I wasn't disappointed.


These are not the softest or most buttery shadows I own, but they blend well and the pigmentation  is fantastic, particularly of the shimmery and darker shades. Also, this palette has the deepest, darkest matte black I've ever tried and only the TEENSIEST bit is needed to deepen any of the other shades.  They wore well for a good 8 hours before I noticed the start of some creasing.

1. Sleek Blush in Suede  2. Edward Bess Lipgloss in Love Always  3. Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation in 56 Hale Clair   4. MAC Paintpot in Groundwork  5. Too Faced Perfect Lip Pencil in Perfect Spice  6.  Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in Deep  7. Sleek Contour Kit in Medium  8. Sleek i-Divine Storm Palette


Face
Healthy Mix Serum Foundation
Sleek Contour Kit in Medium 
Sleek Blush in Suede 
Collection Concealer under eyes

Eyes
Lioele Eyebrow Pencil in Dark Brown
MAC Paintpot in Groundwork as base
Sleek i-Divine Palette in Storm
Fairydrops Platinum Waterproof Type Mascara in Black
Ardell Accent lashes

Lips
Too Faced Perfect Spice Lipliner
Edward Bess Lipgloss in Love Always


Sleek's blush was also great for pigmentation. I used Suede for a more neutral look that wouldn't compete with the eyes. It's a great non-shimmery shade that also helps with scupting.  It reminded me of one of my favorite NARS blushes, Madly, but at a fraction of the cost.

I'm new to contouring, so I don't know how the Sleek Contour kit compares to other, similar products. I have tried matte bronzers to contour before this, but most were still either too light or came off too orange to do the trick. Thanks to the great swatches on the Sleek site, I picked up the medium kit. It's natural looking and doesn't turn me an Oompa-Loompa shade of orange.  The highlighter is pretty too. Unlike many highlighters which are too glaringly white, this one is subtle and doesn't make me look oily as some cream highlighters can.

The Sleek site is great for swatches and shipping, but they can't ship some of the i-Divine palettes to the US (annoying, I know).  HOWEVER, I was easily able to find those palettes on eBay. For all the US beauty mavens who haven't tried Sleek Makeup, you have no idea what you're missing.  I already have a laundry list of other products I am going to buy, including at least 2 other palettes, several of the blushes and I'm dying to try a few of their lip products. I definitely recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment