Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A Tale of 3 boxes....Comparison of August Birchbox, Sample Society and Glossybox


So which has the most bang for your buck?

In my over-enthusiastic start to the BBZ project, I subscribed to what seems like a gazillion beauty boxes. After a month, I'm already getting overwhelmed by the sheer number of samples and am looking to whittle down the subscriptions to only those that provide both good value and a range of products that excite me.

The 3 boxes I'm going to compare span price points – low, mid-range and high. Bring on the battle of the boxes...

I was so underwhelmed by the August Birchbox that I gave away most of it by the time I wrote this post, so this picture is taken from http://chaosandcliche.com/2012/08/12/birchbox-august-2012-unboxing/. Great blog to check out!
The Ubiquitous Birchbox - $10 / month

What's in the box:

Beauty Fixation Makeup Remover -Full size - $5.00 (24 pack) / Sample (3 swabs) - $0.63

Comodynes Hydra Tanning Face Moisturizing Summer Glow – Full size $20.99 / Sample (2 foil packs) I don't know the exact amount in each as I already gave them away, but I'll be generous and give them a $3.00 value

Comodynes Self-Tanning Towelettes – Full size - $14.99 (8 packs) / Sample (2 packs) - $3.75

DDF Brightening Cleanser – Full Size - $38.00 (250ml) / Sample $3.95 (60ml)
Juicy Couture – Viva La Juicy La Fleur – Full size - $70 (2.5 oz) / Sample (size unknown) – est. value $4.00

Bonus razor – Amazon retail value $6.45

Total Approximated Birchbox Sample Value - $21.78 (without bonus razor, value down to $15.33)


The Mid-Priced Option – Beautybar / Allure's  Sample Society Box - $15.00 / month
This is my first Sample Society box and I was impressed. Loved the black box and packaging, but they totally won me over this month with the Deborah Lippmann nail polish. WIN!

 Phytonectar Treatment Oil – Full Size 1.7 fl oz $30.00 / Sample 0.33 fl oz - $5.82

Deborah Lippman Nail Lacquer in Private Dancer – Full Size - $18.00 ($13.50 on Amazon) – FULL SIZE PRODUCT SAMPLE YAY!!!!!!

Jane Iredale Longest Lash Mascara – Full Size (0.42 oz) $33.00 / Sample (0.1 oz) - $7.85

Elemental Herbology Facial Detox Purifying Mask – Full Size (2.5 oz) $46.00 / Sample (0.5 fl oz) $9.20

Arcona Cranberry Toner – Full size (3.72 oz) $33.00 / Sample (1 oz) $8.87

Total approximate value of Sample Society Box = $64.74*

*Value calculated using the product prices listed on beautybar.com site. In fairness, most of the products could be found on Amazon at lower prices.

High End – Glossybox - $21 ($22.86 with shipping)

The price is more than double than Birchbox, but you get what you pay for....actually, in this case you get way more than you pay for. Glossybox definitely feels like an indulgence. The weight of the box makes it feel like you're getting something substantial and the quality of the packaging is second to none. I'm actually reusing the Glossybox to help store and organize my growing makeup collection.

 Biolage Exquisite Oil Replenishing Treatment – Full Size $22.00 (3.1 oz) / Sample (0.16 oz) $1.14

Ellis Faas Lips in L109– Full Size - $35.00 YAY FULL SIZE PRODUCT!

Illamsqua Nail Varnish in Alarm – Full Size $14.00 ANOTHER FULL SIZE PRODUCT? AWESOME!

Ole Henriksen Truth Serum – Full Size $48.00 (1 oz) / Sample (0.5 oz) $24.00

Touch in Sol Skin Base – Full Size $20.00 (1.13 oz) / Sample (1.06 oz) $18.76

Total Approximate Value of Box = $92.90

Ok, so I've done the math, but it's up to you to determine the value. For example, I couldn't have been less disappointed with my Birchbox this month after getting not one but 2 (!!!!) tanning-related products even though my Birchbox profile clearly states that I have tanned / olive skin. *Shakes fist at the sky*  deep breathe I promised I would save the rant for another time. 

Anyway, as I was saying...both Sample Society and Glossybox cost more than Birchbox, but I definitely feel that their value far outstripped the cost and contained products I was really excited to try.  We'll see what September brings!

1 comment:

  1. I've tried Birchbox and Glossybox. Never tried the other. I had to cancel them though due to financial. I tried some others too (myglam, beauty box5, etc). I think I liked Glossybox the best!

    kristen
    www.beholdthemetatron.com

    ReplyDelete