Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Summer Savior / Rave Review – Tatcha's Dewy Skin Mist


This summer in NYC has been particularly brutal. When I mean brutal, I mean HUMID. It's been hot and the air has been stagnant and thick. On days without a slight breeze, it's like walking in a sauna. The subway (or Tube or Underground, depending on where you are) – an unavoidable part of getting around the Big Apple – turns into a lower chamber of hell that even Dante himself couldn't imagine.  All in all, it's pretty miserable.

Imagine what this does to your skin. My combination skin quickly goes oily in humidity and left unchecked, my nose and forehead end up looking like the Exxon Valdez oil slick.

I've been partial to face sprays for a number of years – more for their cooling benefit in the summer heat than any purported beauty benefit. Evian, Caudalie, Mario Badescu, Jurlique – these are some of the brands that I've used in the past and I've had no real complaints. But while these were decent products, they don't compare to Tatcha's Luminous Dewy Skin Mist.*** 

I'm a skin mist addict - as you can see by the empty Mario Badescu Facial Spray bottle. The other two are very nearly empty, as well. Though I like these, I LOVE Tatcha's new offering.

Tatcha cosmetics, known for those blotting papers that every woman who suffers from oily patches should have, has come out with a new line of skin products. I read about Tatcha's new skin mist in a magazine and despite being hesitant because of the $48 price tag for a demure 40mL product and the lack of user reviews, I decided to try it out.

Love the pop of color and elegant bottle. Oh, just in case you're wondering, I'm wearing Illamasqua's Nail Varnish in Alarm.

Ordering online was easy and I got the added bonus of samples, including a deluxe VIP sampler of products for signing up for emails. Everything came prettily wrapped in purple tissue paper, but it was the signed note from Vicky Tsai, the founder of Tatcha, that truly impressed. 

I'm a calligrapher and thus, natural sucker for handwritten notes on pretty paper. Even if it's not actually a note from Vicky Tsai, I've never received a handwritten note from anyone at a beauty company with my order and I'm appreciative of this level of service and detail .
Onto the skin mist....oh, that sleek purple ombre glass bottle. The packaging on its own is a standout and Tatcha's Skin Mist could hold its own against the prettiest of perfume bottles.

Tatcha claims that the Dewy Skin Mist is “a silky liquid moisturizer of squalane, red algae and our HADASEI-3 bioactive complex can be misted onto the face for a boost of soothing hydration. The result is dewy, luminous, replenished-looking skin anytime, anywhere.”

According to Tatcha, the mist “does not contain high levels of alcohol and fragrance found in conventional hydrating sprays, which can dry out the skin.”

After 2 weeks of regular use, I had to write a stand alone-review for anyone on the fence about this product. I'm in love. If I could, I might even ask Tatcha's Dewy Skin Mist to marry me because I could be in for a lifetime commitment.   Having combination skin, I always skip over the beautiful "dewy" stage and go straight to greasy. Because this summer has been so bad and the oil on my face even harder to contain, I've even shied away from most moisturizers to avoid contributing to the problem.

Tatcha's Skin Mist is cooling and hydrating and I didn't realize when I bought it that it's really a liquid moisturizer that doesn't really compare to the other mists that I've bought in the past. It really does make my skin “dewy”. In fact, a random stranger in a grocery store told me I was “glowy” the other day – and he wasn't trying to sell me anything. After 2 weeks of use, my skin has felt refreshed. It feels supple and hydrated rather than oily and slick. It has been a God-send of a product made to combat the humid NY summer.

While the bottle is beautiful, there is a downside as the product's size and glass packaging are not purse-friendly. A travel size version of this would be ideal and I could see myself toting that around during the summer months, or anytime really. It's that good.

The biggest downside to this product is my becoming additcted to it, but with a $48 price tag, I'll have to learn to be judicious and make the bottle last as long as possible. On the upside, you really don't need a whole lot of product to get that glow. 2 spritzes of the finely diffused mist and you're good to go.

If you have the means to splurge on Tatcha's Dewy Skin Mist, I highly recommend it. Your skin will thank you.

***I purchased Tatcha's Skin Mist with my own money. I have not been asked to do this review or compensated for it. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment