Saturday, September 1, 2012

PopSugar’s Must-Have Box Review (Aug 2012) - Now THAT’S What I’m Talking About


My PopSugar Must-Have August Box arrived just in the nick of time to still call itself an August box.  I’ll be blunt. I didn’t like the first box.  It was overhyped and more importantly, the value promised wasn’t there.  But like after many a bad first date, I agreed to try it again, to ensure I wasn’t being too hasty in dismissing a potentially great thing based on a bad first impression.


I opened it and was happily surprised and impressed this time around. (I wish I could say the same for half of the second dates I talked myself into :S )

To cut right to the chase, here’s what was inside:

Tatcha blotting papers,  a cute striped baggu bag, stemless shatterproof wine glasses?  Yes, please!

Alora Diffuser ( Isola scent)  - $60.00 value

Baggu reusable bag (striped) -  $9.99 value

Set of 4 Govino 16 oz. Shatter Proof Stemless Wine Glasses -  $12.95 value

30 ct. Tatcha Blotting Papers - $12.00 value

Pop Physique Original Butt DVD - $14.99 value

1 oz. bottle of Sprout Exfoliant - $7.00 value (4oz. full size $28.00)

1 oz. bottle of Sprout Cleanser $6.00 - value (4oz. full size $24.00)

7.2 oz. bag of Original Pretzel Crisps - $3.00 value

1.35 oz. bag of Bear Naked Fruit and Nut Granola - $0.45 value (12oz. full size $4.00)

Postagram Prints gift card good for 10 prints - $10.00 value

2 paper coasters with a 15% coupon for Benziger Family Winery  

The total value of this first PopSugar must have bag is $136.38 - great for a $35 price tag.   This is still well under the original $150 value (I know, I know, I have to learn to let things go. Unlike last month, I knew what I was getting into this month) but the novelty and variety of the products were great. This is definitely a lifestyle box and it’s refreshing from all of the pure beauty-based subscription services that are now being offered.

While this month was definitely a winner in my opinion, PopSugar still has some kinks to work out.

CONS: 

-Lack of communication prior to box release – maybe let subscribers know the theme to give them something to look forward to

-AGONIZINGLY slow shipping and arrives very late in the month

-some complained about the change from Must-Have Bag to “Must-Have Box”….when I signed up I certainly didn’t expect a bag every month like other folks did (there WAS a baggu bag in this month's box). For me, it's not a big deal as the canvas beach bag was the first thing I gave away last month, but yet another unannounced change (like lowering the bag value) could definitely be frustrating for those who signed up because they wanted a monthly bag.

So by my count, PopSugar is 1 for 2. This month’s box has made up for the disappointment of the inaugural box and let’s hope they continue the trend.  I’m still betting on PopSugar to live up to their brand and surprise and delight their subscribers with the MustHave bag....er, box...Whatever. I’m subscribing for another month and will keep you posted. 

*I bought the PopSugar box at full retail price with my own money. This review is not sponsored in any way, nor have I been compensated. As always, the opinions expressed are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment