Friday, September 28, 2012

Beauty to Go: Packing Challenge 1 - Weekend Trip

I have to brag - I'm KNOWN for being a great packer. I rarely overpack and I NEVER pack more than I can carry myself. It comes from years of living out of business travelling and trying to avoid checking any bags. You just become hyper aware of what you need, what you don't and what you can buy on the road to avoid taking up more precious space in a carry-on bag.

However, this was BEFORE the makeup obsession kicked in.  I've acquired a LOT of product lately and I've been experimenting with everything like a kid with a finger painting set.

Last week, my guy and I went away for a fun weekend trip. The night before, I wondered, "How the heck was I going to edit my makeup and pack it into a small cosmetic bag???

Here's what I brought:

First things first - this is my new favorite makeup bag. Why, you ask?  Well, scroll down for the answer....

 Ta da!!!!  It lays out flat, which is awesome. No more digging around looking for products at the bottom of your bag. No more dumping out your cosmetics on the hotel bathroom counter. The material is a tad flimsy (for all those who put a lot of miles on their travel stuff, which I do)  and I do wish they came in color, but I love the concept.  I found mine on Amazon for $27 with free shipping with Amazon Prime.

*Lay N Go Cosmo Bag can be found on Amazon HERE

WHAT I BROUGHT & WHY

I focused on bringing products that were long wearing, easy to apply or could do double duty to reduce the number of things I had to bring.

1) Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains in Honey and Lovesick. Honey is a great "your lips but better" color and Lovesick is perfect for a pop of color on the lips. They couldn't be any easier to apply or tote around and the fact that it's a stain gives it more staying power than a regular gloss.

2) NYX Matte Lipstick in Perfect Red - Matte formulas are big this season and I love a red lip. We were going to a couple of really nice restaurants for dinner and there's nothing like a red lip to make an outfit.

3) Eve Pearl Dual Salmon Concealer in Medium/Tan - Great for covering up any dark circles from a late night out. Some people have complained that this creases on them, but with a primer before and setting with powder afterwards, I haven't yet had a problem.

4) MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Powder in Medium Deep - The key to giving your makeup staying power is to set it with powder. I love how this lays on the skin without getting cakey.

5) Kiss Me Heroine Make Volume & Curl Mascara - I discovered this on imomoko.com and it's my new fave mascara. I've tried DOZENS of mascaras that promise to keep my stick-straight Asian lashes curled, separated, defined without flaking or budging, but nothing except my L'Oreal Voluminous Waterproof in Carbon Black could keep up. I will still use that one, but this has been what I've been using exclusive since I got it - the formulation is thinner than L'Oreal's and I prefer the wand of this one for defining my lashes and keeping the curl "perky" all day long.

6) Eyeshadow Pencils - Sue Devitt Eye Intensify Pencil in Tanzania / NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in French Fries - I love my Naked 2 Palette, but I HATE toting it around. It's heavy. It's clunky and for a weekend trip, it seems a bit excessive. I chose two metallic shades that complemented each other and could be layered easily to give my eyes a bit of sparkle and definition.

7) Dolly Wink Liquid Eyeliner in Deep Black - Another great Asian beauty product find on imomoko.com. I feel NAKED when I don't line my top lashline. It's my go-to, my security blanket, my safety...I generally use MAC's gel liner in Blacktraxx and an angled brush, but to save from packing an extra brush and another little glass pot, I used the felt tipped Dolly Wink Liner. It's easy to apply....I find that when used over eyeshadow, the color is more muted than I would like, but on it's own without a lid color, it is every bit as opaque and defining as a traditional gel liner.  Staying power is great, too.

8) Brow products - MAC Eye Brow Pencil in Spiked - No sharpener required and such a fine point to draw in brow hairs.

9) NYX Brow Wax Pencil keeps everything in place for hours

10) Shu Uemura Lash Curler - I swear, this would be one of my "If you could only take 5 items with you to a desert island" items. Even before I turned product junkie, I've had a Shu Uemura curler in my makeup bag since my aunt gave me my first one at 16.

11) Youngblood Mineral Primer - I admit, this initially made the cut for it's diminuitive size. I got this in a beauty subscription box and hadn't tried it until this trip.  I didn't want to go lugging my HUGE tube of Laura Mercier foundation primer, so I opted for this and was pretty impressed. The clear, gel-looking formula seems as though it has to potential to be sticky or shiny on the skin, but it went on so smoothly. The texture reminded me a bit of Benefit's poreFESSIONAL, silky, almost powdery.

12) Benefit's Stay Don't Stray Shadow Primer - Another sample sized product from a beauty box. These are the perfect sizes for short trips. I love Benefit and I like their shadow primer. I'll be honest, I'm too much of a makeup newbie to be able to discern the difference between shadow primers like this or Urban Decay's Primer Potion or Too Faced's Shadow Insurance. The bottom line is: my shadow pencils (which I would generally use as a base for powder) didn't crease or fade and the sample size was perfect for travel.

13)  NARS Blush in Madly - It's not much to look at in the pan, but it's great for giving my cheeks a bit of a sculpted look and some color all in one go. It's neutral enough to go with anything. Love this color!

14) Missha M Perfect Cover BB Cream in No. 31 Golden Beige - This has been my go-to foundation all summer. It's got more coverage than other BB creams while still providing all the moisturizing and SPF benefits.

15) TOOLS:  BareMinerals Travel Kabuki Brush, BeautyBlender (LOVE THIS!), MAC 228 mini shader brush, Sigma E25 Blending Brush, Sigma F40 Large Contour Brush and a spoolie


SO that's that. I am proud to say that I used all the products I brought with me and nothing was wasted space - HUZZAH!   Maybe I'm patting myself on the back too early - do you pack more or less for a weekend away?  I would love to hear from you - what's in your travel makeup bag?

Next week, we'll be heading back to Toronto for a 10-day visit with my family. I'll be writing another post on how I packed for that longer trip. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment