Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sample Society First Look - September 2012

I love this time of the month when all of the sample boxes start to roll in, or as my friendly neighborhood UPS carrier calls it - "overtime."

Yesterday, I received my second-ever Sample Society box. I was blown away by my first box which had Deborah Lippmann's Private Nail Polish (a gorgeous metallic purple) in it, that I could barely wait to rip open the box to see what was in store this month.

September Sample Society Box

What's Inside:


Stila Smudge Crayon in Umber - Full Size 0.04 oz for $22.00 - Sample size ? Est Value. $4.40 (I estimate this sample is about 20% the normal amount of product, so that's how I got the est. value)

Diptyque Eau De Toilette Fragrance - Full Size 3.4 fl. oz. for $120 - Sample size 0.06 Fl. oz. valued at $2.12

Borghese B Gloss in Fiore - Full size 0.21 oz for $18.50 - Sample size 0.16 fl oz valued at $14.10 - practically a full size product!

Ahava Purifying Mud Mask - Full size 4.4 oz for $30.00 - Sample size 0.9 oz valued at $6.14

Cellceuticals Extremely Gentle Skin Cleanser - Full size 6.7 fl. oz for $35.00 - Sample size 2 fl oz. valued at $10.45

Total approx value of September SS Box = $37.21


Even though this is only my second Sample Society box, I have to give credit to the company for managing to pick shades that would have wide-spread appeal. Nothing is sadder to this tanned girl than when I get a makeup sample that was made for only the fairest of the fair.

Below are swatches of the Borghese Fiore Lipgloss and the Stila Smudge Stick in Umber.



Borghese Lipgloss in Fiore (natural light)
Stila Smudge Crayon in Umber (natural light)


Fiore is a shimmery pink nude lipgloss. While I thought it would be a tad too light, when I applied to my lips, it was a very pretty neutral shade, great to wear when trying to balance out a strong eye makeup look or for a pretty everyday look.  I've never used a Borghese gloss before, so I'm not sure if it's the formula or the sample I received, but I was surprised by how thick it was and how much I had to "push" the product around with the wand to get an even coat. It's not so thick, tacky or heavy to be off-putting, just surprising.

As for the Stila Smudge Crayon, this thing does NOT budge. It is a BEE-YOU-TI-FUL bronze-y color that I think would complement the shades of my Naked 2 palette nicely. I have fabulous plans for this as a refreshing alternative to black eyeliner.  That being said, I'm not sure how this would work as an eyeshadow.

As a product touted as a smudge stick, I would expect it to well, smudge *duh*.  Again, not sure if it's a sample that's a bit dried out, if it's the formulation or if I'm just not quick enough with a makeup brush, but it took 2 tries for me to blend out the swatch above. The first time, the color locked and it wasn't going ANYWHERE - so, yay for great staying power, but not so great for blendability.  The second time, I did manage to smoke it out, but you can even see from the picture it's a bit blotchy and like I said before, once the color locks, it ain't moving.

Overally, I'm really happy with this month's Sample Society box - even with the perfume sample, which I normally detest as a filler product, but Diptyque is a brand I've been DYING to sample as their candles smell so utterly divine and have such a cult following. I was uber curious to have a go at their perfume.   Sample Society is quickly becoming THE box I look forward to most for value, variety and for the overall happy-happy-joy-joy vibes I get from it.

Stay tuned...I'm just waiting with baited breath for my Glossybox to arrive (seriously, it's an AGONIZING wait till the end of the month) and I'll be doing "A Tale of 3 Boxes" part deux.

No comments:

Post a Comment