Tuesday, September 18, 2012

ALERT: Another "New" Subscription Box - MyGlam Relaunches As Ipsy

Ah, the beauty subscription box. Every week, it seems, there's a new one or the announcement of the demise of another.  MyGlam Bag has just announced it is relaunching as Ipsy.  As an alternate subscription service at the $10 price point (like Birchbox),  I was intrigued to see whether or not the company would address the myriad of customer concerns previously expressed and decided to sign up. 


From the website: "ipsy (formerly MyGlam) is an online community for discovering and sharing beauty and style products and looks. Using videos from our well-loved YouTube stylists, as well as videos from our devoted and engaged user community (growing by the day), we are changing the way women learn about and experience beauty products."




A few months ago when I was researching which subscription services I wanted to try, I came across MyGlam - and it was getting a lot of hate. Complaints ranged from too-small samples (rather than the promised "deluxe" size), missing products from shipment,  the inclusion of old / discontinued products. A few consumers complained that the company pulled a "bait and switch".

I'm hoping that the relaunch takes care of these issues.  If my bag looks anything like the one pictured, I'd be a happy camper. 

MyGlam - The Stats:

  • $10/month including shipping 4-5 samples
  • Affiliation - youtube video makeup guru Michelle Phan
Things that make this different than other boxes:

  • Continuing in MyGlam tradition, every month you get your items in a re-usable cosmetic bag
  • If you like watching beauty vids on youtube, the Ipsy online community and in-house stylists might be just your thing. 
"Each month, subscribers will receive a beautiful Glam Bag with deluxe samples and full-sized beauty products. Members can watch and play along with the stylists with the same products that they are using.All for only $10 a month. "

I'm new to Michelle Phan and her youtube videos. She's adorable and her makeup tutorials are easy to follow. I appreciate that she isn't pushing particular brands and shades in her looks and makes it easy for me to try and re-create looks with things already in my beauty arsenal.  All in all, my biggest concern is that this service might be a bit to twee and best suited for a teenaged market.  In any case, I'll give it a couple of months and see whether or not MyGlam is a real competitor to Birchbox for the $10 beauty box price-point.



*I was not asked to do this post. It was not sponsored and I paid for my subscription.  As usual,  all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment