Friday, October 12, 2012

My first Ipsy Bag - finally a Birchbox contender?


When I was scouting for beauty subscription services, I found MyGlam - a service by youtube beauty guru sensation, Michelle Phan.  However, bad reviews drove me away. However, with the recent re-launch of MyGlam - now Ipsy, I decided to give it a shot.

I wasn't sure how I felt about subscribing to a beauty service spearheaded by Phan - thinking that the products would be geared to a much younger audience than myself.  I first heard about Michelle Phan from my teenage cousins, after all.  Well, I got my first Ipsy bag today and IT ROCKS.

Ipsy is a $10 / month beauty subscription service and online beauty forum / community. The price includes shipping, putting it on par with Birchbox.  While there are a myriad of beauty subscription services out there, I have been unable to find anything comparable to Birchbox at the $10 price point - UNTIL NOW.

Unlike most other services, Ipsy came in a fun metallic fuschia padded mailer envelope which I couldn't wait to tear open.

1. Chevron print makeup bag  2. Colour Couture Pequi Oil Treatment for Hair   3.  Bombshell Felt-Tip Eyeliner Pen in Onyx  4. The Balm "The Body Builder" Mascara in Black  5.  Coastal Scents Eyeshadow Mini Palette (Set 5)

With a "Hello, Bombshell" theme,  inside the awesome chevron printed makeup bag I was delighted to find a cohesive selection of products.  Unlike other themed boxes or bags, I actually felt that this was thoughtfully curated to be able to produce a "bombshell" look.

What are the signatures of a "bombshell" look, you ask?  To me, it's all about the black liquid liner and the red lips.   And lo, and behold - a killer red lipgloss and felt-tipped liner pen were in the bag.

1.  Bombshell Eye Liner in black  2. Mirenesse Lip Bomb Glossy Lacquer Stain in No. 2     3.  Coastal Scents Eyeshadow in Vibrant Red  4. Coastal Scents Shadow in Frosty Taupe  5. Coastal Scents Shadow in Vanilla Sky and  6. Coastal Scents Shadow in Raisin Berry


Holy pigmentation, Batman!  All the products had a great color payoff.  While the bullet tip on the eyeliner was thicker than I would normally prefer (esp. to pull off any kind of cat-eye flick), the color was super inky, which is absolutely key for me.  The Mirenesse Lip Bomb Gloss is an awesome true red which isn't too shiny, like I find most glosses to be.  All the coastal scents shadows were generally  true to color even on my tanned / olive skin and I know I'll be using the taupe color a lot this fall - even though it's more khaki than taupe on me.

All in all, I'm really impressed by my first Ipsy bag. There was a good mix of familiar and new brands but all were of good quality.  It was, by far, the most cohesive themed box I've ever gotten - at any price point.  

What you're getting for your $10 - "Hello, Bombshell" October Ipsy Bag

1) Coastal Scents eye shadows are super inexpensive - a regular sized 12 shadow palette lists for $4.99 on the Coastal Scents site - so approx sample value is probably around $0.80 

2) The Balm "What's Your Type" Bodybuilder Mascara - Full size $19 for 0.33oz - Sample size  0.11oz valued at $6.33 


4) Couture Colour Pequi Oil Treatment 0.5oz bottle sells in Sephora for $12.00 on its own

5) Be A Bombshell Eyeliner - ANOTHER Full-Sized product - retails for $19.00


Total approximate value: $77.13  PLUS the fab makeup bag which is already in my purse.  There are discount codes for all of the products included in the bag.

Bottom line:  I know it's only the first Ipsy bag I've received - but with 2 full size products that I will undoubtedly use, plus actual deluxe sized samples, AND the makeup bag....well, Birchbox, you've got a LOT of catching up to do.

Can't wait for November's bag!  

No comments:

Post a Comment