Friday, October 12, 2012

Sample Society October 2012 - Meh.




Maybe I'm just lazy post-vacation to do much blogging, but I got my Sample Society box yesterday and I figured I should say *SOMETHING* about it.

It's not that it was a bad box. It was just "Meh."  I thought - hey, maybe I'm just over  the beauty box thing, but I got my first Ipsy bag today and I was excited enough to want to blog about it thatveryminute, I realized, it's not me, it's this month's box.

Maybe I'm being harsh - I was tickled pink with Sample Society's last 2 boxes and this one just suffered from too high expectations. I mean, I'm wearing the full-size Deborah Lippmann purple nail polish I got in my very first Sample Society box back in August as I type.

ANYHOW...what's in this month's box:

1) Oscar Blandi Pronto Wet Instant Volumizing Shampoo - Full size 250mL for $24.00 / Sample value $4.80 (50mL)

2) Kate Somerville ExfoliKate - Full size 2 fl oz for $85.00 / Sample value $10.63 (0.25 fl oz)

3) Aromachology Clean & Fresh Eau de Parfum - Full Size 3.4fl oz. for $100 / Sample value - oh, I will guess $5.00 - since I don't know what the perfume sample size actually is.

4) Jane Iredale - Full size 4.2 fl oz for $36.00 / Sample value approx $2.15 (est. 0.25fl oz)

5) Erno Laszlo Phormula 3-9 Repair Balm - Full size 1.7oz for $245.00 / Sample value approx $14.41 (0.10 fl oz)

*BONUS: Herban Essentials Lavender Towelette - $16.00 for 20 / Sample (1 sheet) $0.80

TOTAL BOX VALUE: $37.79


So, sure, looking at the return for the $15.00 price tag, that's not bad.  But to me, the word "value" means more than just money. My quick thoughts on the products:

-The shampoo is volumizing, but I'm a bit obsessed with always pairing my shampoos with their respective conditioners. It just seemed like an incomplete product stuck in the box.

-Kate Somerville - YAY!  Love her stuff. Glad to have a good sized sample of her best-selling product.

-I generally hate perfume samples.  I did like last month's Dyptique sample, but regarding Aromachology's offering this month I have to say it: I HATE THIS PERFUME. It gave me an insta-headache. It smells like the too-sweet bubble bath that you get in those off-brand bath gift baskets. I do NOT want to smell like that. EVER.

-The other thing I hate other than perfume samples - tanning products. Why? I don't need them. I am naturally tan. I say this in the survey EVERY beauty subscription makes you take when you sign up (which every service seems to ignore summarily afterwards).   Needless to say, I wouldn't even bother to swatch the one and only makeup product in this month's box. I had never heard of the brand before I started with the beauty boxes and the only other product of hers I've tried is mascara, which proceeded to uncurl my carefully lash curler-ed lashes in RECORD time.

-Erno Laszlo's repair balm - definitely intrigued to try, if only to see whether or not it would be worth the hefty $245 price tag for the full-size product.

-Herban Essentials towelette - I don't care how good I might think this is.  I would never pay $16 for 20 hand wipes. Enough said.

So really, there are only 2 products I'm excited about. Not a great end result.  It just seemed disjointed to me.  One of the things I LOVE about sample boxes is that it is like giving yourself a gift every month....and you know what they say about gifts - it's the thought that counts and to me, it seemed like there was very little thought put into the mish-mash of products that were put into this month's box.

I'll keep Sample Society for a bit longer since I hope that the upcoming holiday season inspires the box curators to include some nifty stuff.  But all in all, the theme for this month's box for me is: MEH.


No comments:

Post a Comment