Friday, August 24, 2012

Walk Before Your Run...

You know that phrase "too fast too soon"? Despite all my good intentions and an enthusiastic start, I found myself going radio silent after a mere 3 posts. How embarrassing it is to have to apologize for being absent so early into my foray into the beauty blogging world!  I have no excuses, but my meagre explanation goes like this:

Despite only recently rediscovering my pre-adolescent love for all things makeup, I have quickly become a makeup hoarder of epic proportions. I'm like a magpie drawn to all the pretty shiny packages, the rich, sumptuous .   I have spent countless hours poring over blogs and youtube video reviews and I find that I am so very easily seduced by the rave reviews and makeup swatches.

In my headlong dive into the colorful and fantastical beauty world, I subscribed to no less than 6 (GASP!) beauty subscription services. On a recent 2-week trip to the west coast (another reason for a prolonged blogging dry spell), I visited no less than 4 Ulta stores and came out with bags EVERY SINGLE TIME.  I spent HOURS trolling sasa.com and imomoko.com,  two gateways into the exotic world of asian skincare and makeup.  Then there is Ebay and Amazon.  Let's just say that in recent weeks,  Manny the UPS guy and I have become very good friends.

First haul from imomoko.com - btw the Dolly Wink Liquid Eyeliner totally ROCKS and I now have started doing bi-weekly face mask sessions. A total stranger said I looked "glowy" yesterday - an he wasn't trying to sell me anything or pick me up either. WIN!
Just a handful of things from my Cali trip. First time I'd ever set foot in an Ulta store  and I  felt all fluttery.  Discovered NYX products (which were on sale, too)  lots of things to experiment with - without the hefty price tag. Every makeup newbie's dream!
Hi. My name is Sam and I am a greedy makeup hoarder. I think I have a problem :S

And now, I sit on top of a teetering mound of makeup still in boxes, waiting - nay, BEGGING - to be opened and played with. But despite being newly-armed with a formidable beauty arsenal, I am still a neophyte and feel like I've waded too far out of my depth.

Until a brilliant thought struck me - make a to-do list. Or, in this case a wish-I-could do list.  Makeup products get hyped. They get discontinued. New color collections come and go. I'm not a makeup artist trying to pull off dramatic transformations or create dramatic and theatrical costume-y looks. I'm just a girl trying to look her best in everyday situations like: going to work, meeting with clients, a hot date night with the hubby, the occasional special event like a wedding or an evening soiree.

So it is with these situations in mind that I will attempt to master a core collection of looks that can adapt to changes of season, accommodate new colors and products and will generally make me look as kick-ass pretty as I can be.

Back to the lab :)

No comments:

Post a Comment